lunes, 13 de enero de 2014

8 Things I learnt from my child and I intend to apply to myself in 2014

1 - Do sports. If a two year old was able to move in a straight line, he would complete a marathon before nap time. That's what I think while I watch "Cupcake wars" and my child rides the vacuum-cleaner. Yes, my dear friends, your child could be the most demanding aerobic trainer you ever had. This year I'm going to wear those running shoes I purchased in '98 and I'm going to follow him in the open. For phase two I will take him to a park with a lot of benches and other obstacles.

2 - Do languages. Daniel doesn't see the problem in repeating "mandina, cosina, camemo, pintururas" until he obtains what he wants from whomever can give it to him. My German is as good as my son's, so it is clear only my inhibitions preventing me from getting what I want.

3 - Dress as you please. Talking inhibitions, Daniel recently decided he rather does not wear shirts and bunny ears are the new black. Who am I to discourage him? I have a bunch of hats, Indian saris and Chinese shoes that I never wore in public. Maybe now is the moment.

4 - Stop to smell the flowers. In the way from home to the supermarket there are plenty of amazing spots. There is a bush with red fruits and a corner that is always full of leaves. One day we saw a squirrel, and that could happen again anytime. Looking at the world from with your child's eyes could be just like spending some time in Amsterdam. And in some ways, safer.

5 - Sharing your love in an honest manner. One minute Daniel decides to hug you for no reason and the next, he refuses to even look at the auntie that came for a visit (with presents). "Give her a kiss" "No" "¡Daniel! ¡A kiss!" "Neiiiiin". Sometimes I think it would be great to do the same. "Natalia, a kiss to your mother in law!" "Nooooooo".

6 - Spending time in the zone. When Daniel is playing with an "auto", he becomes blind and deaf to any external stimuli. When I try to get something dome I'm always interrupted but the mobile, Internet, my husband "have you seen my wallet?" and other temptations. And this is very unproductive, Internet says. This year I will become occasional and conveniently autistic.

7 - Making an epic show and forget it immediately. Remember the last time you had such a fight with someone, you were in a bad mood for days, and even had additional fights with people that had nothing to do with the original matter? Daniel doesn't. He can cry, get red, kick and scream, vomit, turn his head 360 degrees and speak in tongues, and one minute after that he will be smiling, adorable, without any recollection of the episode.

8 - Living for today. During the holidays Daniel's timings simply were off track. Daniel behaved like Valdemort in speed during Christmas Eve and fall slept half an hour before every event we wanted to attend. As everybody knows, children make the most amazing things when you run out of battery in the camera and trips with kids are always one fever away of being cancelled. In this situation, becomes mandatory being able to worship the unique moments of every day.

Disclaimer: There are a number of good reasons for social conventions to frown upon many of the things I'm suggesting above. Dressing as a geisha for work, refusing to greet your mother in law and skipping your doctor's appointment because you got stuck smelling the flowers could get you into trouble. Use at your own risk!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario