lunes, 23 de agosto de 2010

Miracles in my belly

My pregnancy books just arrived. Since neither I nor the dude that got me pregnant had any idea of what to look for, I just went for the more scientific looking book I could find. Bullet points, diagrams and names of hormones. I discarded any volume where the word miracle was printed anywhere. Mating two members of the same species and different gender, both in reproductive age and permanent jobs is hardly a miracle.

I also discarded any book in pink colors, childish font and fluffy stuff. It is bad enough to read that you are likely to get hemorrhoids, to read it in comic sans over a violet background with a picture of a baby looking at you is masochism.

So well, I got my serious looking books and starting documenting myself about all those magic, amazing changes going on in my body. And what the book recommends to deal with the annoyance of these miracles? Homeopathy. Seriously. Homeopathy. In other words, water and sugar pills. Expensive water and sugar pills. But this is not the worst. The worst is that they advise to be careful with the dosage. Because… too many drops of water might… kill… you…?

Yes, I was shocked. People around me, however, seems to find this normal. Some people recommend also to massage the baby mentally and say babies that have it easy during labor are less ambitious as adults. Stop for a second. What is going on? These are educated people. Engineers. Atheists. Why is it about pregnancy that brings out the pseudo scientist we all have inside?

But of course, pregnancy is all about miracles. Maybe I should take those sugar pills, sit back and enjoy the placebo effect, waiting for the rules of physics to be violated as my belly grows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDpWNKB5Co&feature=related

Pregnancy symptoms: Discovered embryo doesn't like Big Mac
Mother instinct: Going down as I look at pictures of smalls heads going out of vaginas

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario