jueves, 24 de noviembre de 2011

Yes, I read the books. All of them

There is a shelf in my flat filled with books about pregnancy and babies. “Comer Amar Mamar”, “The Pregnancy Bible”, “The Baby Book”, “Baby Owner’s Manual” and “101 things to do before you are five”, to name a few. I read them all, or at least most of them. That's how you do things, don’t you? If you want to learn to program HTML5 you buy a book, or a couple of them, you read them, you put into practice what is written there and voilà! There you are. You are a programmer now.

Only, you get to discover later that for using babies there are just a few commonly accepted instructions. These are the things they teach you at the hospital, and they can be learned in one day, with a few words (I understood few words, since the nurses spoke Czech to me).

-The baby needs to eat often and you are supposed to offer your breast - this is how
-The baby shits as often as he eats and he needs diaper changing - this is how
-You should once in a while put the baby in warm water - this is how
-For a number of other random issues the breast works just fine

And for every other doubt you might have, from "will my baby be disadvantaged if I don’t play Mozart to him?" to "will he hate me later if I don’t use recyclable diapers?" to the very common "what the heck is wrong with him?" you should know that different writers have different views, which translates to "they don't have a clue", and "you are on your own". There you are! You are a parent now!

Congratulations

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario