lunes, 24 de junio de 2013

Love is keeping cool

Monday, 8am, I’m on my way to Prague half asleep. Martin calls "Nata, remember I told you I was supposed to go to Munich today? Turns out, it is not today, it is tomorrow. But I'm already in Munich so... does it make sense for me to go back?" "No, dear, it is ok. See you tomorrow. Love ya!"

Tuesday, 4pm. Martin and Dani should be back from the doctor one hour ago.  I call. "You forgot, didn't you? Ok, will pick Daniel from the Krippe. No, it is all right. Love ya!"

Next Monday. 8am. I’m again on my way to Prague half asleep "Nata, I think I left the keys from the house in Darmstadt. You are back today, aren't you?" "Yes, no worries. Love ya!"

Tuesday, "Nata, I forgot to register our marriage in the town hall". Wednesday, "Nata, the finanzamt is asking for some papers they sent home I didn't read and cannot find. Have you seen them?" Thursday, "Nata, was it today the trip to the zoo in the krippe?" Friday, "Was this my toothbrush?"

Martin is quite absent minded. It is normal for him going to the airport only to discover his flight is scheduled for tomorrow (and calling his girlfriend to ask her to wait in some hotel in New Dehli). Once we had to bribe a soldier to get a spot in a train to St-Petersburg, because Martin made a mistake when reading the time of departure. In other occasion we spent half a day checking half the hostels in Cuzco searching for some missing mountain boots.

Keys, sunglasses and parking tickets seem to run away from my husband. And so do mundane responsibilities. "Martin, remember to take the clothes out of the washing machine!" Don't bother girl. No way in hell it is happening.

I used to get upset about this kind of stuff. Not anymore. What a waste of energy! Instead, I came to admire the creativity in which my husband resolves these kinds of situations. We missed a train? There will be another one some time. Martin forgot the swimming suit? It is not new to see him bathing in shorts. Did we forget the stroller in the street? Well, at least we did not forget the baby.


Yes, so many years of sobbing with Love Story and Ghost and it turns out that love, at least the daily one, does not require a girl to be a hero. Love is finding out your husband forgot your baby's passport in a coffee place in the way from Leipzig and not shout, not worry, not swear. Keep cool.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario