miércoles, 25 de julio de 2012

Setting boundaries


My son is turned into a little savage. He climbs tables, pull out cables, right after washing his hands, he lays them in the toilet seat, runs from the kitchen to the living room in order to spit food all over the carpet and the only moment he wants to hug his mother is when I’m ready to leave the house and he has his hands and face covered in tomato sauce.

It’s the age, of course, it is understandable and even cute. But regardless I feel like shipping him to his grandma until he is a bit more civilized. “The books” say one should, with lots of love, explain him that what he is doing is wrong and try distracting him with something else. Taking into account that “something else” keeps this child entertained for two minutes, we need about thirty “distractions” per hour, or three hundred per day, which unfortunately is too much for my poor imagination. One proved solution is to take him to the park, where running after dogs and birds keeps him busy even longer than changing the washing machine program and throwing the toys in the toilet or the dishwasher. But I fear the winter.

So, according to “the books”, when my son is testing the heater mechanism or my cellulites cream I should try to have a dialog with him. I do. The dialog goes like this:

-NO! Don’t do that!
-Hahahaha. Hihihihi. He he he

I think he is testing his power before the time comes and one of these two things happen:
-He will start speaking and will not be able to pretend that he doesn’t understand.
-I’m going to spank him and somebody will call the Jungendamt.

And then he is not going to be able to put the toilet brush in the pots cupboard anymore. So, well, enjoy while you can.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario