lunes, 1 de julio de 2013

Happy father's days!

Apparently, last week it was father's day in Czech. It was not in Germany, neither in Spain, so the date was blatantly ignored at my place.

I have lived seven years in Czech and have not been able to register in my head the fact that Father's day cannot possibly be coincidental with St Joseph in ex-communist countries. Obviously, it is not. Luckily, in the thirty years Martin lived in his home country he did not register said date in his head either. When I asked why I obtained a vague response about communists changing  national holidays without second thoughts. Pretty much how the major in my home town changes the patron of the city.

Father's day, and mother's day too, fall on a different date in Germany, Czech or Spain, making it difficult to coordinate for families like mine. Grandparents need to be phoned on the right date, but my husband and I miss the celebration. If I cannot make my hubby remember to put underwear to my child, asking him to bring me flowers first Sunday in May seems to me only comparable to being a working mother in Germany.

So, although in principle we could celebrate three times each event, in practice motherhood did not get me even a sad pot of daisies in the last two years.

We could claim that my family does not celebrate consumerist festivities which only purpose is to make people spent money in ugly ties and electronics, but we have a Wii from last Christmas that says otherwise.

Or we could wait a couple of years for Dani to bring home pasta collages with the words "Ich liebe dich, Papi", although I am not sure if this is still happening in schools, or is as old fashioned as Nativities made of clay and green blackboards.

O I could also stop worrying and celebrate mother's day myself and whenever. Today, for example. I think that is exactly what my favorite shoe shop, my bank card and I are going to do. Happy mother's day!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario